Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A tribute to Heath Ledger


So, as many of my friends know, I have been a big fan of Heath Ledger since he debuted in America with "10 Things I Hate About You." Like many, I was excited by his charm and accent, and of course, his devilish good looks. I felt he always had a little twinkle in his eye, and thus in the characters he played, that said, "I know something you don't."
I remember going to see "The Patriot" with my dad at the theater, and had been so excited about the movie opening (at the time, I was also a big fan of Mel Gibson's- well, I still think he's a good actor). Anyway, it came out the summer of 2000, when I had just graduated from high school, and was preparing to go to college. I recall watching "10 Things" and "The Patriot" over and over in my dorm room, and crying every time someone died in "The Patriot." It is the ultimate good vs. evil, and it deliberately tugs at your heart strings, but Heath shows some of that silly and playful demeanor again when he's paired with his on-screen love.
Two-and-a-half years ago, I was working at Starbucks in the summer of 2005. We had lots of celebrities come to that location on the Upper West Side. We were across from ABC Studios and near Lincoln Center. I'd see Spike Lee, Regis Philbin, Alec Baldwin, and even Dustin Hoffman. But for me, the highlight was when Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams came into the store. Someone came over and said they spotted him, and I immediately abandoned my spot at the far end of the store, and sprinted over to the other bar to make or get whatever Heath was ordering. It being the summer, of course he got some Frappuccinos. Michelle was at least well into her second trimester, and when Heath came to pick up the drinks he asked me if they were decaf. I told him that he had ordered a blended creme drink, which was not coffee based, and asked if he wanted a coffee based one instead, and of course made it (I would have done that for any costumer- it often gets confusing). The whole time, I think I probably had a goofy smile plastered on my face, and was likely shaking from excitement. I don't often tell the actors or whomever that I'm a big fan unless I really am, and even then I try to leave them alone and just thank them for coming in and wish them a good day. So, this time, I decided that when I handed the frap back to Heath, I was just going to say something like, "By the way, I just wanted to tell you I've been a really big fan since '10 Things I Hate About You'," or, "I can't wait to see you in 'Brokeback Mountain'." However, when I turned around he was talking quietly on the cell phone and I didn't want to bother him.
He, Michelle and a friend stayed at the table in the corner for a while, used the restrooms, and I walked by them when I had to go back to the back office. My boss, Josh, even wrote a funny note that was hand-delivered to my by another employee that read something like this:
"Dear Laura,
I'm tired of being with this woman over there, and I think you're really hot. Will you go out with me? Circle "yes" or "no"
Love, Heath : )"
When they left, I watched Heath and Michelle walk away together down a side street towards Central Park, holding hands. They looked really in love.
When I read about their break-up, I was saddened, especially because they have a young daughter together.
Yesterday, when I heard the news from a co-worker, I was shocked. I thought, they did not just say Heath Ledger was dead. I know that celebrities, the rich, the famous, no one is immune from death or tragedy. We tend to think, though, that they're more immune, or eventually, they'll get back up on their feet. I kept thinking, why wasn't someone there to help him? Why didn't he have a close buddy to call and say, "Are you getting any sleep these days? What are you taking? How much? Do you need to see someone?" It's tragic when anyone, famous or not, dies at such a young age. I couldn't help but think there are so many famous people to have died young, and whether it's the lifestyle that brings the death, or they type of person that is drawn to the lifestyle that inevitably brings the reckless behavior, it's sad. Look at someone like Amy Winehouse. Why has she not died from the reckless lifestyle she's been living? I hope not; she's a great talent as well. I hope she gets help, and that once again, if any good can come out of this, it's that her or someone else gets help. Let me clarify, I'm not speculating what killed Heath. All we know so far is that prescription sleeping pills were found, not strewn about, in the apartment. I hope that it was not a suicide. I am saddened either way, and I would hate to think that he felt that depressed and helpless that he would do something like that. Without knowing him, I can only assume that with his continuing to act in parts that interested him, and the joy he apparently took in being a father to Matilda, he did not. Again, it's just so sad and he will be greatly missed by his family and his fans.
Rest in Peace, Heath.

No comments: